Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 192: 3...2...1...

My self-imposed first draft deadline is tomorrow.  On Sunday evening, I didn't think there was any chance I was going to finish it.  I was still stuck in the middle of the big conflict scene, and felt like it was going to take too much work to get that and everything else done by Friday.  But I finished that scene on Wednesday (and actually kinda like it), and have tweaked both that and the Frank and Angie scene before it to the point where I really have to hear them out loud before I can revise them anymore.  Last night and this morning I plugged in a previously-written scene (the very first scene I wrote for these characters -- funny how the first scene I wrote is ending up at the end of the play).  I thought it was going to need a lot of rewrites, but I just trimmed and stream-lined it a bit and I think it works.  Again, at least enough to have to hear it out loud before I can really decide.

So that leaves me with two, fairly small tasks: plugging Vera into the opening scene instead of a nurse (to eliminate the need for another actor, and to introduce the audience to her character right away), and writing a small final scene for Frank and Vivian.  I actually honestly think this will be done by tomorrow.  I can scarcely believe it.

I'll report in tomorrow.  As my playwriting teacher said, this is a drama in and of itself. 
blog comments powered by Disqus