Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 160: Diving back in

It's Sunday, the first full day off I've had in awhile.  I have set aside the day to write, no other expectations.  I should probably also do laundry and clean my apartment, but I really don't want to take away from my time to write.  So I'm going to put even those things aside.

I've enjoyed an all-too-rare relaxing morning with my boyfriend, relishing that I didn't have to run off to work or teach.  But now that it is time to get started writing, I find I have a pit of anxiety in my tummy.  My mind has no label for this anxiety -- it is purely physical.  I'm not sure if I'm just having a hard time letting down after having been running so non-stop, or if I'm subconsciously nervous about getting back to writing, afraid I won't be able to come up with anything.  Or maybe I'm not nervous, maybe I'm excited.  I always tell my students with stage fright that the physiological response to anxiety and excitement are exactly the same -  it's up to you to decide whether you are mentally on a roller coaster having a great time or if you are about to get in a car accident.  This seems like a good time to take my own advice and tell myself I'm not nervous, I'm excited to get back to writing my play.

Whee, how exciting!  I get to write on my play today!  Time to kick the boyfriend out and get to work.  I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.
blog comments powered by Disqus