Monday, December 26, 2011

On the fourth day of "write fast!"...

... I finished Act I!  I'm very pleased with myself, especially because the majority of that writing was done on the bus to and from New Hampshire (on which my very pained butt is still sitting as I type this).

I seem to write well while in transit -- even on the subway, even if it is only for 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes I'll find a couple of choice lines or an important turn in a scene.  (This was why I made the out-of-character early purchase of the iPad when it first came out, so I could better take advantage of those fleeting moments.)  I often seem to focus easily while on the move: perhaps the world flitting by me and the mild (or in this case, not-so-mild) physical discomfort provide just enough distraction to keep the rest of my mind busy so that my writing mind can focus.  When I'm home, still and comfy, I think I'm more easily distracted by other things.  Or maybe it's my writing-to-a-deadline in miniature: I know I only have x amount of time to write in this confined space (be it 5 minutes or 4 hours), so I best use it well.

Either way, I am delighted with my progress.  Now, 8 days to finish Act II....
blog comments powered by Disqus